Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Day After

This morning was slow starting for me because I still felt miserable. However, as the day progressed, I was able to get vertical for longer periods. From upstairs, I heard Boy say, "Can I have a huggy?" Aw! My baby is speaking in full sentences, and it makes me smile. I made my way downstairs to the couch around mid-morning. I have been able to get up a few times and even cook and eat lunch. Yay! Hopefully by tomorrow I will be back to feeling like me. I have no idea what this yucky sickness is/was, but I am ever-so-grateful that it only lasted less than two days.

You may be wondering about my exercise program. As of today, I am even more confident that it will be effective. Specifically, my back and my triceps were hurting this morning. They were not hurting in a bad way; they were hurting in a way that told me that I was definitely using them during yesterday's workout. Woohoo!

Since I barely got started, when I am feeling better, I am going to start over. After all, the workouts will be less effective if I do not do them daily and keep my body exercising. Being sick can be so miserable, and yesterday was tough. I do not know how I would have gotten through it without my husband. It would have been okay, though, because God would not give me more than I could handle, right?

Bull dinky!


People say that so often, and I see it written in fancy letters on cute cards or some such places. It has become such a common saying, but why? Who said it? God did not. It is not in the Bible. The fact of the matter is that, as frightening as it can be, He will certainly allow you to have more than you can handle.

Huh? What? Why would I say such a thing? Frankly, I do not believe that the Lord wants us to handle everything on our own. He wants us to turn to him. We are His children, and He wants to guide us and comfort us in the same way that we want to do those things for our own children.

Think about it. If your child was so independent that they never turned to you, even when they needed to, would that not hurt you immensely? Would you cry to see your child suffer because they were so stubborn? In that same way, imagine how we hurt the Lord's feelings every time that we neglect the fact that He CAN help us.

We ask God for the not-so-important things all of the time. "Lord, please help me be on time for the movie even though it starts in three minutes, and I have not even left yet. Please let it be a sunny day for my day off even though there is a forecast of rain showers. Oh, and while you are at it, Lord, I did just buy a lottery ticket...." It seems so easy to take for granted that He will hear us and [hopefully] give us what we want. If we do not get what we want, though, then it is not such a big deal since they are not important things, anyway.

What about when it is not so trivial, though? What about those times when we want to just crawl into a hole and wish the world away? What about those situations where it seems that there is no possible "fix" or solution? We feel so lost, so afraid, so alone...but are we?

Remember that we can rely on God for everything. He loves us. He wants to show us His love, His mercy, His grace. He always answers our prayers. Are we praying to Him when we need Him the most, though? We may not get the exact answer that we want in that moment, but God knows exactly what we need.

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:3-6

Now if I can just remember that and put it into practice every day, I will be more spiritually fit already!

No comments:

Post a Comment