Friday, September 10, 2010

111 Deeds in 111 Days

September 11th marks an indescribably horrible tragedy for our country and for so many people personally. Evil attacked. Lives were impacted. Bad happened for so many.


My post today is not about the September 11th, 2001, attacks. My post is about doing good for others. I mentioned 9/11 for two reasons. One is to recognize the anniversary of this tragic event and to express compassion for those involved. The other reason is to recognize that there is bad in this world. We know that there is. However, we can add more good.

No, the majority of us probably will not have the opportunity to impact thousands of lives in one act. That does not mean that we cannot impact one life.

I am reminded of a story. Do you know the one about the starfish? I am posting a video here to share it with you. (This particular video is a recognition for teachers, but I liked it the best of all of those that I viewed on YouTube.)



While each one of us may not be able to make an impact on the masses, think of how one small act could impact even one person. Quite possibly, that person might, in turn, do something good for someone else.

"And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." -Hebrews 13:16 NIV

Here is my challenge to myself. On September 11th, there will be 111 days left in 2010. My goal is to do 111 good deed in 111 days. Will I reach this goal by the end of the year? I certainly hope to.

I know, I know, we do kind things for one another every day, sometimes without even thinking about it. At other times, though, I suspect that we can so caught up in our own lives and experiences that we do not think of others as much as we should. For this challenge to myself, these will be purposeful and conscious tasks with the intention of making something a bit easier for someone or making someone feel a bit better about themselves or even just adding a smile to someone's face that was not there before.

So let's not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don't give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith. -Galatians 6:9 TM

If you would like to join me on this journey of 111, I hope that you will share what you do with me. Maybe I will get some new ideas for your good works. Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment