Friday, April 29, 2011

H = Happiness

What is happiness? Happiness is different for different people. For me, happiness comes with a decision. Am I happy? Yes. Is it that easy? Most of the time, yes.

You may be thinking that I am an idiot. A person cannot just decide to be happy. Life is hard, and there is so much pressure and stress and difficulty, and a person cannot just be happy.

I would beg to differ. Much of the time, it is that easy.

Many of the things in life that cause us stress, frustration, aggravation, are not that big of a deal. We make them a big deal. We make mountains out of mole hills. The next time something upsets you, pause and ask yourself, "Is this really a big deal, or am I making it one?"

Yes, many of us do have big things in our lives that are painful or stressful or difficult. How we handle those situations and our outlook on those situations is up to us.

Do not begin to think that I do not have those things in my life because I can assure you that my husband and I have our share of difficulties and sorrows this year. The fact of the matter is, though, that I do not grab hold of those experiences and let them dictate my mood. After all, is being miserable and wallowing going to change the situation? No. It is not going to accomplish anything but making myself unhappy. Therefore, I can choose to be happy, and I can either do what I can do to change a difficult situation or accept that I cannot change it and ask God to help me do what I can to get through it, to be at peace, to be content, to be happy.

If you still do not believe that you can simply decide to be happy, try it. The next time something causes you to be in a foul or unhappy mood, ask yourself, "Is this really worth feeling this way?" Maybe if you accept that being miserable will not help the situation and choose to be happy, you will find that you actually can be.

I am just saying.

8 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is one scary picture! LOL And you are right, happiness, contentment, and peace are all things we can choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% Dawnmarie! -btw LOVE the picture!

    -The Consultant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree totally. Happiness is a choice. I have to remind myself that all the time. If we are waiting for someone else to make us happy then we will be waiting a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duke, that is my husband. We were being happy at our Hilton Head Island place. 8^D

    Miranda, THANK YOU!

    Good choice, A.Marie.

    Dawn, that is a good point. Thank you for adding that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting thoughts! Inevitably things happen which can make us grumpy or unhappy, but I do think sometimes we can make the choice whether to indulge that grumpiness or unhappiness, or try not to...it's definitely not always easy though! But I will try to decide to be happy as much as I can, thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the words of my college radio station advisor upon seeing my frowny-pouts, "Choose another feeling". Yes - happiness is a fleeting emotion and we can't put our 'weight' on our emotions....but, we can look beyond our anger/sadness/disappointment and choose the joy that surpasses all understanding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happiness is a choice... It is based on our choice for follow Jesus Christ or not. I see many unhappy people that are seeking after the world's riches and material things. Only in Christ do we have true joy (and happiness)...

    ReplyDelete