Friday, January 14, 2011

Be Kind to Jerks

You have heard it said, "Be kind to others," and "Treat others as you would want to be treated," and other things like that. Have you ever heard it said to "Be kind to jerks?"

Welll...maybe not in those exact words, but you have probably heard, "Love your enemies."

We are called to do good for everyone, not just the people that we like. I read a Bible verse recently that made me chuckle.

"If you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that." Luke 6:33 (In context.)

It is such an obvious statement, yet it is so sagacious at the same time. For those of us who strive to shine as a light of Christ to the world, this especially rings true. What kind of an example of His love are we if we play favorites and only love those who love us?

Wait a moment....

Now, as I type this, my train of thought is wandering to Casting Crowns' "If We Are the Body."

Since that is on my mind now, rather than continuing to type my thoughts, I am going to sign that song for you. Soo...this post started with the intention of talking (err...typing) about being kind to jerks and is ending with a song about being jerks. It may not be exactly where I had in mind to go originally, but it is where I am going now.

If you want to watch the video larger and with some more clarity, you can see it on YouTube by clicking here.


"But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."

-1 Corinthians 12:24b-27 (20-27)


5 comments:

  1. Yah! Thanks for sharing this with us! Girls and I are seriously planning on learning to sign. Been a bit distracted by the weather this week and playing outside.
    Also Thanks Dawnmarie for changing the posting options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fantastic, and I'm sure greatly enjoyed by many. I'll be using this for part of our ASL studies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job, Dawn! Good song choice too. I've been teaching ASL to four year olds, but only have limited knowledge. When I'm done with my degree, I plan on taking a few classes just for fun! Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a really good job, DM! You are a very talented individual! You are truly blessed! I was inspired from your blog and from the scripture. I appreciate you sharing it.
    I'm one of those people who normally look on the bright side of things. I tend to stay away from the negatives! Bring me down and I don't need that in my life. I don't think I'm one to only be nice to those who are nice to me or to show favorites. I do have people that I just avoid because of the way they look at things. But I want to be treated nicely by everyone, so I try to be civil to everyone. They don't have to like me, but I'd just appreciate consideration. I try to do this with anyone I meet or am in the company of.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this verse too. I think it goes beyond what we think too. We do it all the time. We do something nice for our spouse or kids and think we deserve some kind of special thanks or reward. But the real reward comes from doing something for someone who has never given you a reason to be loving, someone who has never done anything for you. This is the truest form of following what Christ did for us in His gift of love and salvation.

    ReplyDelete